Montag, 4. Juli 2011

The final days of the World Kite Racing Championships in Sylt


Friday evening the conditions were rough, but racedirector Markus Schwendtner decided to do a couple of races: 20 to 30 knots on shore winds with waves that were reaching up to 2-3 meters- not the conditions you hope for in the World Racing Championships. 4 Races were to do- I was all the time on my 7 m kite, my smallest kite I ever used for racing.
There was quite a few riders pulling out their safety equipment: the helmets, life jackets, as almost all boards have fins between 40-45 cm.
Navigation got the difficult part of those races, as you couldn’t see the buoys in the very choppy conditions and your body had to amortize the waves, often changing direction and deal with the speed. After almost 4 hours we came back to shore at 8p.m.
Saturday the northsea presented itself as the wildest I ve ever seen. Giant waves and lots of chop accompanied with strong winds made the course race impossible to ride. Even our safety boat could not be out there. Too dangerous. But I don’t think anybody was very upset about it, cause everybody was still tired from the 4 races yesterday. So we watched the kiteloopcompetition which was fantastic to see not only for the spectators also for us and finally we ended up in sauna to recover.
Sunday the the wind was so strong that it was impossible to put the security boat in the water in Sylt. For this reason the race committee announced that there wouldnt be more races and that the results from Friday are the final once. Congrats to the US Team, which took the lead in the mens division with all three first places and congrats to Steph Bridge from GB who won took the title in the womens division just in front of Katja Roose from the Netherlands. I am happy about my 6th place, it was my first worldcup and it was a good training and a good possibility to see whats my position.
My next competition will be the European Championships in Sopot in Poland end of this month. 3 more weeks to train!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen